STARTER

Lexus Other

I have a 1990 lexus ls400, 160k, v8. The problem that I am having is that, every couple of weeks, it chooses not to start. I replaced the battery and the alternator. When I try to start it, at times, it will not turn over (doesn't make a sound). I can have it jumped and it will crank. It also takes about 2-3 seconds for it to crank when it does. I also changed the spark plugs. A friend told me that it was the starter that needed to be replaced. I was going to do so but I cannot find its location. HELP! Is this a starter malfunction and, if it is, where is it located in this particular car? I would be VERY greatful for any amount of assistance. Thank You :
Just?_us

Going by what I see in the mitchell books, unless you are a very good mechanic, have a shop do it. This model requires a lot of engine dissasembly to replace...and it may not even be the problem! The security system, neutral saftey switch, relays or wiring could be the problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Starter_Removal_copy_1.jpg

All these parts must come off to get at the starter!

Merlin2021
Starter is in the " v" of the engine. Yes I would have it checked by someone familiar with this model before going any further.

Lostinmars