CAR OVERHEATS UNLESS GAS PEDAL PUSHED DOWN

Lexus Other

I should have mentioned the car type:

1991 Lexus LS400
235,000 Miles or so
Don't know engine size - I know they didn't vary a lot in 1991. : )

Dragonfly87

I should have mentioned the car type: 1991 Lexus LS400
235,000 Miles or so

Dragonfly87
I am having the weirdest issue.

My heater doesn't work unless the gas pedal is pressed in to a certain point. My car engine's temp. Will eventually get really hot and sometimes overheat if its not pressed it as well. I'm not " so" concerned with the heater as I am with the engine temp. The water pump has already been replaced as well as other general water pump/collant related maintenance work. (Sorry for the generalization - not much of a car person) When I took it in to have the pump replaced I spent a load of money just to not have the problem resloved. Does anyone have any ideas in regard to this problem?

Dragonfly87
The overheating could be a very overlooked issue on these cars. The fan clutch, which on the V-8 models are reverse rotation and if you dont have the right one or a weak / worn out one it will simply overheat.
Try putting a box fan against the grille and let it idle. Watchn the temp and if it stays normal, then, walla!

Slofing