ES300 WONT START. SEEMS FUEL STARVED

1992 Lexus Other

This car has been in the family since new and now has 225,000 trouble free miles. The other day, right after filling the car with fuel. I was driving down the freeway when a car cut me off. I braked hard. When I took my foot off the brake, the engine was dead. I coasted to a nearby off ramp. The car would not start and acted like it was without fuel. I had it towed home and picked up a Haynes manual for the car and did some diagnosis. I confirmed that the fuel pump is not pumping. : D The fuel pump does not come on with the key, nor when you when you bridge the FP and +B on the test terminal connector. When I apply power directly to the fuel pump leads under the rear seat, the pump seems to work fine. The book says to test the EFI main relay and the Circuit opening relay with an Ohmmeter next. I do not have an ohmmeter and would likely replace one or both, if that makes sense to you. The failure was so sudden and seemed to be related to the hard braking after a fill up (I did top the tank as I was leaving for a long trip at the time) that I wonder if there is something simple that I am missing.

Any ideas on where to go next Thanks for your help: D
Drjohn461

You are on the right track on the relays-but check the Fc circuit on the mass air flow meter. the Fc in the MAF meter completes the run circuit to the COR from there it goes to the fuel pump to power it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_relay_2.jpg