GS300 TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT PROBLE

1998 Lexus GS 300

1998 Lexus GS 300 6 cyl

Hi,

My mechanic assured me he could replace the timing belt on my 1998 gs300 and had done many lexus. However, for almost a week he has been trying to put it back together with no luck. Anyone heard of this before? If I have him tow it to a lexus dealer will they be able to put it back together?

thx,
Brian
Brianmckee

Hi there,

This is a 3 1/2 Hr job, it is not rocket science, take it to a qualified mechanic, this person is obviously not, as long as it has been timed when dismantled it will be a simple re fit procedure.

Mhpautos
I don't know what to think of this. He is a certified Nissan/Infinity mechanic but says he has done plenty of Lexus timing belts. He says the timing is off now when they try to start it. He says all of his mechanics have looked at it. What could be wrong? What does " as long as it has been timed when dismantled" mean?

Thx
Brian

Brianmckee
Hi there, you must set the engine up on TDC No 1 when removing the timing belt, this way all reference marks are aligned and it is easy to fit the new belt and ensure that the valve timing is correct, some people remove the belt first and then try to set the vale timing, this is how you get into strife, this is an interference type engine, that is if the valve timing is set incorrectly the pistons will strike the valves with serious damage resulting, you cant turn the crank or cam with the belt off, as damage will be done as well, that is why it is important to ensure the timing is set correct when the belt is removed so there is no major adjustments when the new belt is installed.

Mark

mark (mhpautos)

Mhpautos
Thanks for the reply Mark. They have the whole engine apart now. All I could see left was the bottom half of the engine block. No pistons, etc. I think they must have damaged the engine like what would have happened if the timing belt broke while running. He claims they are going to rebuild it good as new. He has ordered more parts. What do I need to ask him? Should he have replaced the valves? Pistons? Is it possible to repair the damage that was probably done?

Thx,
Brian

Brianmckee
HI there, Did you authorize this work before they ripped the motor apart? If not they had no right to do this without your OK, I feel that they may have got the timing wrong and did some damage, anyway at worst they only bend valves and the bottom end is normally ok, I hope that you are not paying for there mistake.

Mhpautos
No, I'm not paying for the extra parts and labor. I'm just worried that it won't run like before. What a disaster $#@%#!

Brianmckee
Ok, thats good to know, put this mess on the back burner and have a great Xmas and new year, keep me informed on the progress,

Cheers Mark in a very hot Australia.

Mhpautos