DIAGNOSTIC CODE P0440

2001 Lexus ES 300

2001 Lexus ES 300 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Check engine light and trac off light came on. Diagnostic
check gave a code of p0440. Was given a rate quote of $150.00 to check for a specific problem. This seems rather high for troubleshooting an emission pr. Oblem. Is this a product of seeing dollar signs when a women comes in. I was told the car is ok for limited driving until the problem is corrected. Is this true? First time using your service and hope this will be a safe, trustworthy site to get basic information about car problems.

Thx
Marcellatwo

P0440 Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction

This can be a vacuum problem, an electrical problem or a mechanical problem with the hardware of the system, I feel that you have quoted you the max time it should take to diagnosis this with the manufactures repair flow chart, this must be checked in a methodical and orderly way, as it is easy to miss vital clue to the problem if this is not done in this manner, you can drive for a short while, butt keep in mind that this faulty system any cause associated components to be affected over time and increase the repair cost.

Mhpautos
This may be too late to help but I've just been thru this. In my case, it was just a loose gas cap. Seriously. It would have fixed itself at the next fill-up provided my wife cranked the cap enough to hear the clicking. After tightening the cap, remove the negative cable to the battery for 30 secs. To get the computer to reboot, reattach and voila(hopefully), problem fixed.

Heyjack