RANGE DEAD BATTERY, KEY STUCK IN IGNITION

1999 Rover Range Rover

1999 Range Rover V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

I have had a dead battery for about 5 months. I charged it, maybe not enough, so when I went to start it, it wouldn't start and now the key is stuck in the ignition. Never had any lock issues and no reason to think that I would now, feels 'locked' inside the ignition barrel.
TriciaTMR

Did the engine turn over at all?

Battery must be at full charge. If the battery set through freezing weather it may be shot.

No, it didn't. The alert for 'windows not set' went off and the alarm went off for about a minute, then it died. The battery is only a year old and has been dead, apparently for half that time. We've had cold weather but not really freezing weather. Why won't the key come out. I don't mind replacing the battery, but right now it's sitting out side, door slightly ajar (don't want it to suddenly lock with my only key in the ignition) and the key is in the ignition barrel, feels 'locked' in. Why won't the key budge?

TriciaTMR
That is why the battery must be charged. There is a solenoid that needs to be activated for it to release. If you can jump the battery or get power to the battery from another one, it should release the key.

Thank you! That seems to make sense and I will work on getting my battery charged or replaced.

TriciaTMR
You are welcome, post back if you need.