HOW TO GET FUEL TO RUN LEANER

Land Rover Other

Hi, my v8 1991 landrover discovery is spewing black smoke, how do I get to run leaner without being ripped off by those that assume I am wealthy and foolish: )
Eszed

Easy way is to replace the air cleaner. Be sure there are no retrictions in the air inlet. Also might be time for a new O2 sensor. How many miles?

Post back. : )

Peppermrj
Shes done 166 000 km, never been for a service!

Eszed
You are overdue my friend. : Shock: Where are you located?

Peppermrj
Perth australia, heres the prob, they want thousands for the service when I am capable of changing oil and plugs, however tuning is another issue

Eszed
There is not much that can be tuned in a fuel injected vehicle. Chances are you have a bad sensor input somewhere. Do you have any engine lights lit?

Peppermrj
Nope, heres the thing, if it starts quick it doesnt blow smoke, if it starts 2nd or third time with prompting it will blow smoke so I reckon ur correct and theres a sensor that needs replacing, question where do I look

Eszed
I would start with replacing the spark plugs, plug wires, and the distributor cap and rotor (if so equipt). Run a tank of fuel with fuel injector cleaner.
Replace air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, and check for any vacuum hose leaks.

Might be all that is needed. Post back if not. Good luck. : )

Peppermrj