ENGINE STALLING OVER 30 MPH

1999 Land Rover Freelander

1999 Land Rover 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 74000 miles

Since filling up with petrol at a supermarket chain my Freelander started juddering at speeds over 30 MPH. It gets worse when you accelerate. After about 100 miles the engine started making a high pitched whine.

I have taken it to 2 garages and had 2 very different diagnosis.

The first garage after putting it on the computer said I had a leaking head gasket, it required HT leads, rotor arm and distributor cap.

It cost me 82 for the diagnosis.

The second garage said they couldn't find a fault when they put it on the computer. They think the vibration/juddering is " probably" due to the intermediate reduction drive gear box going and the viscus unit failing.

They also asked if there was a sweet smell when the heater was on as there was an anti-freeze leak; to repair this they would have to remove the dash board.

They also drained the petrol tank, put in some different petrol with a petrol treatment; this made no difference.

I have been quoted a bill in excess of $2500.

Which garage is correct!
Dave H

Take the car to a dealer for a better diagnosis !

Dave H