REAR GATE WON'T UNLATCH

2005 Land Rover Discovery 3

I AM ASSUMING THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE REAR HATCH AND NOT THE LOWER TAILGATE. IF THE UPPER HATCH WILL NOT OPEN, THE FIRST STEP IS TO CHECK THE FUSES. IF THE FUSES ARE OK THEN THE PROBLEM IS PROBABLY THE LOCK ACTUATOR. THE ONLY WAY TO ACCESS THE LOCK IS THROUGH THE INTERIOR OF THE TAILGATE. WHILE SITTING IN THE REAR CARGO AREA AND LOOKING AT THE HATCH, YOU WILL SEE A BLACK PLASTIC TRIM THE FOLLOWS THE CONTOUR OF THE JOINT BETWEEN THE HATCH AND THE TAILGATE AND SURROUNDS THE CARPETED TAILGATE PANEL. THE ONLY ACCESS IS TO GET A SCREWDRIVER IN BETWEEN THE TRIM AND THE CARPET AND PRY THEM APART. ONCE THEY ARE APART YOU CAN REACH INSIDE AND FEEL AROUND FOR THE ACTUATOR CABLE, IT SHOULD BE BEHIND A SHIELD, AND PULL IT TO UNLOCK THE LOCK MANUALLY. THIS PROCEDURE CAN LEAD TO DAMAGE OF THE INTERIOR PANEL, SO EXPECT TO REPLACE IT AND THE WATER SHEDDER IN THE TAILGATE AS WELL. ONCE THE HATCH IS OPEN, THE TAILGATE SHOULD OPEN, THEN YOU CAN REMOVE THE WATER SHEDDER AND THE SUBWOOFER TO REPLACE THE LATCH ASSEMBLY.
ROVERTECHGOLD

Same thing just happened to mine this morning. Any ideas?

Toddhendrickson
Interior problem
2005 Land Rover V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic

My 2005 LR3 rear gate won't unlatch. I've tried the master lock/unlock procedure described in the manual and it doesn't work. Any suggestions.

Toddhendrickson
Can be one of two problems. Either power from cjb (the electronic brain for most electrical features) is not reaching tailgate switch (open circuit or short to ground) or the cjb is receiving a false signal from lower tailgate (which overrides signal to open upper tailgate). Have you checked all fuses in cjb?

PAMIKE63

ROVERTECHGOLD