OIL IN CYLINDERS

2000 Kia Sportage

2000 Kia Sportage 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 137000 miles

As I was changing the plugs in my Sportage the back 2 cylinders had oil in them.
Would this be a valve cover gasket problem?

Thanks!
Billmosley2007

Hi billmosley2007,

Thank you for the donation.

Yes, apart from the valve cover and plug seals, there are no other possible areas for oil to be leaking into the plug tubes.

Changed the valve cover gasket as it was broken in several places. Now the car won't start. It turns over but will not fire. I made certain that the plugs were clean and all the oil was out of the cylinders.
Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help!

Billmosley2007
Recheck the ignition coil installation. Check if the wires are securely attached.

Did you check if there were sparks while cranking?
At end of cylinder head is the CMP, camshaft position sensor, check if the wires are securely connected.

I just had exactly the same problem. It was the valve cover gasket.

Duane Fulton
I had a leaking valve cover gasket. Oil was in the cylinders. I changed the gasket, plugs, plug wires, AND the 2 coils which Auto Zone told me they were too weak to work properly. New coils may help and they're less $$ than I expected.

Duane Fulton