TIMING BELT OR FUEL PUMP

2003 Kia Spectra

2003 Kia Spectra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 162000 miles

i have a 2003 kia spectra that gives me few problems; however, one day I'm exiting off the highway and it goes dead. It will not start at all and the steering wheel was hard to turn. Are these signs of a failed timing belt. Also, a lot of times I find myself riding on E; would that cause my fuel pump to fail as well. How much am I looking to pay to get either/or repaired.
Lil_bit

If the car starts back up, it's not the timing belt. It could be the fuel pump. Has the check engine light come on? Also, keep in mind. If you run on empty often, you are picking up any dirt that is in the tank. So, yes it can damage it or clog the fuel filter.

Have you ever replaced the fuel filter? Have you checked fuel pump pressure? If not, here is a How To video to help you do so.

Let me know if the check engine light has come on and what you find when you check fuel pump pressure.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm