NOISE

2000 Kia Spectra

Air Conditioning problem
2000 Kia Spectra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 45000 miles

When I first start my car you can hear the sound of water moving about in my dash board. Someone at work told me that my problem is probably my air conditioner needs to be serviced. The sound happens only when I first start my car and once it warms up it goes away. And it doesn't do it all the time. Does this sound like my air conditioner needs some attention?
Annie687

Hi annie687,

Sound like the expansion valve in the cooling coil is emitting this. No cause for concern if the AC is working well, however a check or service would do you good.

I can tell you exactly what this is. I have had my 07 Kia Spectra in 3 times for this. It is an air pocket in the coolant system. Today the coolant system was bled yet again. So tired of service depts that think this is not a big deal. Its aggrevating to buy a new car and within a year have to deal with this.

Kia3timer
Thank you for the input.

If there are air pockets in the cooling system, when ehgine is cold, removing the radiator cap should indicate the level is low. You would have to top up coolant. If bleeding needs to be done all the time, there must be a leak somewhere or a bad radiator cap allowing air to get into the system. When coolant system are worling correctly, it should self bleed over time if coolant shortage is not too much.