OVERHEATING

2004 Kia Optima

2004 Kia Optima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 83000 miles

I have a 2004 Kia Optima that occasionally tends to overheat (approaches red) with the ac on. Will cool down after the ac is turned off. I've changed the water pump, thermostat, and flushed the radiator. Both radiator fans are working, and no hoses are collapsing.
I just got this car and don't know if this is normal for Kia's (an engineering defect?).
Any idea's? Anyone else having this problem?
Dougsego

Yes, sameproblem. New th-stat new sensor checked fans and relays, all ok. Temp climbs/lowers as a/c compressor cycles on and off. When gauge is in red, I turn eng off and restart car and gauge reads normal for a while. Tried batt grnd cable per suggestion, did not help. Thermometer put in rad. Reads 185 when gauge in car reads normal or in red.I am not new at fixing cars, but this has me stumpted!

Woodguy
My car did the same thing. Any excessive electrical use (radio on, lights on, a/c on etc) the temp guage would climb. It did this under warranty and after about 5 attempts, the dealer found a faulty ground wire to the battery or chassis and then added a second ground for backup. This fix lasted for over a year. It just started doing it again. I can't find the ground the dealer added and the ground to the battery looks ok. I called the dealer but they want $100 just to look at it. You'd think they'd back up their warranty but no. Not sure what I'm going to do, but it was fixed for over a year.

Specifically, this is what the repair ticket says verbatim. &Quot; 51226 CHECKED TEMP SENSOR AND FOUND NO ISSUES. DUPLICATED COMPLAINT AND FOUND THAT CHASSIS TO ENGINE GROUND WIRE OVERHEATING. CLEANED CONTACT AREA OF WIRE AND ADDED AN ADDITIONAL GROUND WIRE. CLEANED BATTERY TO ENGINE GROUND. RETESTED AND COULD NOT REDUPLICATE COMPLAINT.&Quot;

Rkelly9102