TIMING BELT BROKE

2001 Kia Optima

2001 Kia Optima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

the timing belt on my car broke. The mechanic says he can only turn the engine one directions and that there are 8 bent valves. He wants $500 to repair this for me. My questions is it postibile to tell exaclly how many valves bent without taking the engine apart (he says he did this, but I do not trust him, he did not charg me anything for the diagnosis). Could it maybe be just a timing belt I have to replace or is there usually damage done when it breaks. And do you think this is a fair price (the mechanic is a friend of mine, he says the price he quoted me is really cheap--I just don't trust mechanics)
Angeleneashley

He could have used a scope camera to check for bent valves ? .. $500 is a VERY good price for this repair .. this IS an interference engine so 9 times out out of ten valve damage does occur .. but you could have been the lucky one ? ..

Alas, as I'm a mechanic by trade you may or may not trust my advice ??

Hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1026.png

Dave H