ENGINE SHUTOFF

1991 Jeep YJ

1991 Jeep YJ 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual alot miles

my problem is the engine will sometimes shutoff on its own while going down the road. It will only do it when I am slowing down with the clutch engaged, I can turn it back on pretty easily and it doesent happen again for a while. I have been told it is the computer but I was wanting to check other sources before I start wasting a bunch of money.
Chase36

Hi chase36. Welcome to the forum. The Engine Computer has no idea if the clutch is engaged or not, but it does monitor manifold vacuum. If you find you can drive a long distance at highway speed, then the engine dies as soon as you start to coast, disconnect the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and plug it, then drive the vehicle again to see if the problem is less severe. You can expect black smoke from the exhaust, but if the stalling is reduced, suspect a plugged pickup screen inside the fuel tank.