ENGINE DIES OUT

1988 Jeep YJ

1988 Jeep YJ 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 165000 miles

I have a 1988 Wrangler 2.5 4 cylinder, When its first cranked up it will run perfectly for aprox 2 miles then the engine dies almost to a stop but always picks back up. This goes on while at mid throttle but not when the pedal is on the mat. I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned out the fuel return line and install a fuel pressure gauge. The gauge stays at 14psi even while the engine is shutting down. What can I look for? Thanks
Slapnasty

The fuel pressure is perfect. I checked it. Have you checked for vacuum leaks and the catylatic converter. Also, has the check engine light come on?

Let me know.

This year jeep has no check engine light or converter.

Slapnasty
I assure you it came with both. Is there a chance that someone has altered the vehicle? Also, did you find any vacuum leaks?

No vacuum leak, no converter must have been taken off.

Slapnasty
WIthout the check engine, it becomes a guessing game. If vacuum is good and fuel pressure is good, I feel it deals with either a idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, or even the EGR. My other concern is the converter missing. The O2 sensor can't work properly without it. However, I assusme it ran good before the problem started. Have you checked the egr to see if it is carboned?

Have you had a chance to check?