NO BRAKE LIGHTS, TURN SIGNALS, HAZARD LIGHTS

Jeep Wrangler

I replaced the flasher on my 2001 Jeep Wrangler and the blinkers, hazards and brake lights worked immediately. Although, within a few minutes it smelled like it fried. I put another new flasher in it and nothing is working as before. So for the time being my jeep is parked until I can get this problem resolved.

2001 Jeep Wrangler
44k miles
2.5l engine
Geep

You have a short somewhere. Try to find out where the wire got burnt and replace it. The wire could have rubbed against something and grounded out.

M_H_RITZEL
I think that sounds easier than it is done. How would I go about tracking down the culprit in this case? Is there some kind of tester that I could use? Is there a way to test the multi-function switch which the flasher is mounted on to see if it is fried?

Geep
Start at the fuse panel, check the fuse for the lights. If ok then follow the line using a static tester. It is just a bulb inside a plastic housing one end goes to the ground and the tip you push into wires to see if you have current to that point. You say the flasher fries up. If you have current to there with the lights off then the short would be after that. Check the wires around the flasher unit. Look for grounded wires.

M_H_RITZEL
I replaced my tail lights with flush LED lights and fried some wires also. I first replaced the Hazard/turn signal Relay(~about $12) but that shouldn't be it. Check for a burned fuse, then I would look at the wiring in the dash. I melted a few wires together because of the change to LED lights. I had to repair about 2 feet of wire inside the dash. Real fun. But that did the trick. Also I installed bulb to LED resistors at the lights to help convert to the LEDs.

Tim Purrenhage
M_J_RITZEL,
I located and tested the wires between the fuse panel and the multi-function switch and I seem to have power running between them. I didnt see any fried wires anyplace as well. I also noticed that there was power at the flasher itself, although I dont know if that means anything about how it operates? Although, it seems to me that if I am getting power between the fuse panel and the actual flasher I should be getting some action out of it (i.E. Turn signal, hazards, brake light, etc.) I also tested the relay at the top of the brake pedal and it seemed to be working properly as well, because each time I would step on the brake power would be applied to the relay.

Do you think that the multi-function switch itself is bad, or do you have any other suggestions?

Another side note: Every time I turn my hazards on my running lights on the side of the Jeep turn off.

Thank you in advance for all your help with this!

Geep

Geep
Here is a wiring diagram, in your first post you said something smelled fried, where did that smell come from, can you locate it. with the side running lights going off then I would replace the switch. Diagrams are furnished by mitchell 1

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/54223_jeep_brake_hazard_1.jpg

M_H_RITZEL
The smell and smoke was coming from the flasher area. I ordered a turn signal switch and new flasher (both mopar oem) and will know if that is it. I will let you know.

Thank you for your help!

Geep
Still NO WORKY : )

I replaced the turn signal switch and the flasher with parts from the dealer and it still does not work.

Any suggestions?

Geep
There was a short on one of the running lights. Fixed that and found a blown fuse for the MF/SW which was not blown before. Fixed those two things and it is working like a champ now.

Thank you for your help!

Geep
Your welcome, when you said about the running lights I figured there was a short somewhere

M_H_RITZEL