JEEP WRANGLER DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEM

2002 Jeep Wrangler

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2002 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 71000 miles

Help! 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ 71k miles - Just replaced transfer case for $1800 but dude is telling me that my rear differential needs TLC too - Quoted a price of $2700 just for the part and $550 on labor. My question, is it possible that only a component or gear needs replacing as opposed to the entire thing? I love my car but $1500 is really the most I'm willing to invest at this point and only if it will get me another 2-3 years!
O2bnaka

See my profile,

Imma CJ guy, I answer a lot in the CJ 5 & CJ 7 Forums.

Unless you have somehow destroyed your housing, It looks like the internals could be replaced.

Not much in a Standard type differential : Carrier, Ring and pinion, bearings and shims, seals and oil! (Basics in most).

I have a link that you can investigate for INTERNAL PARTS,...............They are however proud of the ENTIRE ASSEMBLY!

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?cn=Jeep+Gears&c=54

If your housing survived, I would definitely look into another feller to rebuild/ replace the insides.

I'm about to rebuild my 3 speed T-150 Tranny on my '77 CJ 5.............. Everything for the inside is gonna be less than $800!

Your Turn

The Medic