MODELS WHINEY COLD TRANNY

2001 Jeep Other

2001 Other Jeep Models V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

I've recently purchased a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited. Among a myriad of other issues, which I might get to in a separate posting, I've noticed that on very cold days (20 degrees F or so) I get a pretty decent whine or whistle from the transmission after a cold start. Sounds almost like a turbo. Once the truck warms up for a few miles is seems to go away. If it's normal then I'm not so concerned as it sounds kinda cool anyway. If it's a hint that the tranny is on it's way south then I'm quite concerned and is there anything I can do to avoid total destruction? Thanks!
Jgc2001

Ok this will probably run this way for a long time. However to answer you question about this there is a tsb on this. Now depending on the transmission (check with you local dealer) here is what it more or less says. It is due to the transmission regulator valve. At low temps it may make a whining or moaning noise especially in reverse. It is TSB 21-08-99. You say you are having other problems if I can help I will.

Racefan966