MODELS IGNITION COIL

1999 Jeep Other

1999 Other Jeep Models 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 216000 miles

i replaced the coil some time back, about 4 months later it burned the center out of the distributer cap. Took the new coil back and replaced it again. Now going down the road it just dies sometime and hard to start. Backfires sometimes and sometimes not, cleared the computer and drove it and had the codes checked, showed primary ignition coil bad. What could be causeing it to fire hot like that.
Dennyc41

Has the distributor cap gone bad again?

I want to explaine something. When cold starting, the computer allows a full 12 volts to go to the ignition. Once you take the key from start to run, the power is cut down. The purpose for this is to provide a hotter spark when the engine is cold, and then less power to the system to make it last longer.

In the old days, the resister was a replaceable item. Today, it is the responsibility of the computer to do this.

If the code you are getting is primary coil is bad, try replacing it one more time. If the same thing happens again, my guess is the PCM.

Let me know about the new distributor cap.