DRIVE SHAFT

2003 Jeep Liberty

Suspension problem
2003 Jeep Liberty 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

My local mechanic told me that while replacing the transfer case switch (because my part-time 4WD light was turning on while lever was down and off when lever was up- backwards) they said I need a new drive shaft because the companion flange was damaged. This will total $1000. Does this sound right with 100,000 miles?
Lisal

Which drive shaft was it? My front (smaller) drive shaft has a CV joint in the front that is going bad and in need of replacement for the THIRD time! In April of this year, the CV went bad so I had to have the whole axle replaced (can't get just the CV) and less than a month later, it went bad again (Apparently it had squirted all the grease out around the boot). The repair place was nice enough to replace it for free but. In the next few weeks I was monitoring it very closely when I noticed the grease being squeezed out of the joint again! The repair place (although irritated) re-filled the joint with grease and tightened everything down again but told me that was it! About a week ago, heard a boom and now that CV is grinding horribly. I know that drive shaft spins all the time even in 2WD but I can't understand why it would go bad so frequently. To answer your question though. It seems there is a problem with these drive shafts. And at $500 (part only, no labor) it is a pain. Although, mine is a 2002 and has 195,000 miles. Anybody know why this might be continually happening?

Spooly329