GRAND CHEROKEE CUTTING BA

1996 Jeep Laredo

1996 Jeep Laredo 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 254000 miles

about 3 months ago the check engine light came on for my jeep. Just before it did while I was driving it seemed like when you pressed the gas it was losing power and slowing down but it would never cut off. Then I figured out that if you push the pedal to the floor passing gear would kick in but as soon as it leveled back out it acts like it wants to cut back. Checked " check engine light" problem and its O2 sensor problem but everyone i've talked to is telling me O2 sensor shouldn't be causing problems im having that something else is causing O2 problem. Bank 1 sensor 2 running lean. Oh and check engine light is not on all the time, if the weather is cool outside normally it doesnt come on but will still have problems occasionally. Lately we have had 110 degree weather and it comes on within 5 minutes of driving. Any ideas of what problem may be.
Bigdaddyj

Chances are the sensor is bad. However, if it is saying lean mixture, check for vacuum leaks. Let me know what you find.