FUEL PUMP?

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 219000 miles

Back in July my jeep started cutting out real bad. Thought it was just bad gas, so done the fuel treatment stuff. Thought it was fixed. Went on a trip and it ran great till we got off the interstate and it died. Started back up. Died once in the middle of an intersection as well. Then it started loosing power (speed). Then would jolt the speed back. And sometimes it wont start right away. Have to give it a few minutes then try it again. The other night it lost speed and died on me, this happened twice and the second time I could not get it started again. When we went to tow it the next morning the person I was with just beat on the gas tank and it started right up. They said it was the fuel pump but I wanna make sure before I spend that money on it. Oh and also when I lost power it made like a backfiring sound and then I would smell gas/exhaust. Any advice or opinions please!
Armywife2oo8

If he has to whack the fuel tank for the pump to come On -sounds like the culprit but 1st check the wiring to make sure