TACHOMETER AND SIGNALS QUIT WORKING

1981 Jeep CJ7

1981 Jeep CJ7 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 100k miles

I was sitting in my Jeep warming the engine when the tachometer quit working. I checked for a blown fuse and found the turn signal fuse blown, all other fuses in tact. I replaced the fuse but still have no tach or signals and the fuse did not blow again. How are the tachometer and signals in any way related on this vehicle? Can you help?
Lpscj7

I think your year of truck has a little silver metal can, about as big around as a dime and about 1 inch long.

It's called a tach filter and they go bad sometimes.

It's really close to the distributor. In the wiring harness.

Buddycraigg
Thanks for the info about the tach filter, but my Jeep has an HEI G.M. Distributer in it and I can't find anything like what you described in the harness, unless this can is inside the distributor. All I have is a Haynes manual and the wiring diagram is poor at best for the four cylinder for 1981. Anyone else want to take a stab at this one? The Haynes manual does not address the HEI distributor. Thanks if anyone can help. Larry.

Lpscj7