GRAND DIES OUT

1998 Jeep Cherokee

1998 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 163154 miles

I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee with 163154 miles on it I have been haveing keeping it running I have change fuel pump out and filter they were bad then the check engine light came on and said ignition coil was bad and map senor was bad so I change them then had to change pick up coil out then I check chilton book and it said have a bad defective choke went to the auto part store they said it could be a crankshaft sensor because I have sometimes have trouble starting my jeep now it runs a little then dies out
Lostone32

Don't spend anymore money on parts that may not need replaced. If the check engine light is on, scan it and post the code numbers here.

If there is a part to replace is your Automatic Shut Down relay. You may replace that. Then perform this daignostic.

NO START OR HARD START

Ensure battery is fully charged.
 Check spark plugs.
 Perform spark test.
 Check for sufficient fuel and fuel contamination.
 Check fuses.
 Ensure ignition timing and fuel pressure are correct.
 Check fuel injectors.
 Check crank and cam sensors.
 Ensure timing belt or chain has not jumped.
 Ensure ignition coil resistance is correct.
 Ensure rotor, distributor and plug wires are okay.
 Check coolant temperature sensor and connector.
 Check TP sensor and connector.
 Check airflow sensor.
 Check anti-theft system (if applicable).
 Check for contaminated fuel.
 Check for vacuum leaks.
 Ensure fuel pressure is correct.
 Check for gasoline in oil.
 Check ignition and sensor wires for proper connection.

Zackman
Where would I find the automatic shutdown relay under the hood or inside the car

Lostone32
ASD relay is inside the Power Distribution Center (Fuse/Relay Box) under the hood.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_98gcpdc_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_98gcpdc_2.jpg

Zackman
I replaced the asd and so foar everything is running fine but the jeep cut out after I replaced the asd just a little but everthing is fine so far

Lostone32
All right. So far so good.

You did mention that you had the check engine light on. Please post the code NUMBER(S), not description.

Zackman
Yeah my check engine was on that problem has been fix it was my pick up coil and ingtion coil

Lostone32
I understand that. While most consumers will readily hand out their hard-earned cash, as a tech, I prefer to follow the proper diagnostic procedure for codes.

Zackman
I took to a tech and he told me what to replace and worte the codes down for me that why I replace the pick up coil when I find the codes I will put them on here for u my jeep will start then die I wait a min then start it back up and it runs fine it seems like it does that after it sits for a while but I did replace the asd

Lostone32
Please do.

Zackman
Ok here the first code that pop up P0108 map circuit high output the second one is P0351 primary/secondary circuit malfauction

Lostone32
Page 1 of 2