IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM...

1997 Jeep Cherokee

1997 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I'm having an issue with my Jeep's ignition switch not wanting to function. When I pull the harness off of the switch, I can manually start it via jumper wires on the plug, but it will not start when I put the plug on the switch and turn the key. I know the key is turning the switch, as I can hear a relay clicking on the firewall underneath the glove compartment. But none of the electrical components will function via the switch. I have no instrument panel lights, radio, et cetera when I plug in the switch and turn the key, but they will come on if I manually jump them at the plug.

Is there a relay or other component that prevents the ignition switch from coming on?
Jeepguy1978

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_jeep_ignition_switch_1.jpg

Welcome to the forum, check for voltage drop across the ignition switch. Check the actual voltage reading to and from the ignition switch, with connector plugged in. The wiring circuit on top is feed to the switch, the circuits on bottom, feed from the switch. The yellow wire carries voltage from ignition switch to coil side of starter relay. The load side of starter relay is hot all the time.

When you disconnect battery or run it out of battery you will have to reset the security system by locking and unlocking the door with the key to disengage the security system. Then it will allow you to to start it with the key in the ignition