STARTING IT UP

1980 Jaguar XJS

Engine problem
1980 Jaguar XJS V12 66000 miles

hi, ive got my dads xjs v12. Gifted to me. Had to put a few things together.

but now I need to start it up. Ive got a brand new battery top of the line. But the cars sat for around 5 years. It has 1/4 of a tank of petrol from when it sat. It turns over fine !

should I drain the petrol?
add more petrol?
other?
id love to sirprise my old man
can anyone give advise?
thanks
hagen
Badbuszappy

Hi there,

Great machine the V12.

I would drain the tank and replace the fuel filter, drain engine oil and change filter, remove spark plugs and squirt a little oil in each cylinder, crank over untill oil pressure is up, you don't want to dry start this engine. Have a good look at the belts and hoses, don't be surprised to see a few oil & coolant leaks after you have run it a few times, After initial start up and run to temp, try and have the cooling system pressured tested. Repair any leaks, replace any faulty looking hoses, and change coolant. Flush out old brake fluid and bleed brakes. Check transmission oil & diff oil level. Start and run, let it warm up a bit before blipping throttle to check response, check things like power steering oil as well.
British cars are great fun to drive, but be prepared for a scary fuel bill around town, and the usual array of oil leaks that sometimes I feel are built in. Enjoy.

Mhpautos
Thanks for that.
When you say spray oil. Is that crc. Or just normal motor oil?
So do you just unhook a tube to drain the petrol, I tryed cyifing. Man ohh !
So if I drain tank, buy a new filter and take out the plugs and sight their condition.
Would it be sweet to get her running, then change all the oils?

Hagen : )

Badbuszappy
Hi there,

Just squirt a little motor oil down the plug holes, aim at cylinder walls, enough just to get rings lubricated so no dry start up. I think there should be a drain plug on the Jag if not, don't try to drain with fuel pump as you can over heat it, just top up with fuel and add a little octane booster (not much) also some upper cylinder lube wont hurt, while driving use a few cans of injector cleaner, wont do miracles, but will help clean injectors.

Mhpautos
Yeh yah. Shes going. Sweet as, now should I take it in to get tuned??

Oh I came back to start and the battery was dead?

Any thoughts?

Cheers hagen : )

Badbuszappy
Hi there,

Charge the battery and re fit. Don't put on the Pos terminal, hook an Amp meter between Battery pos and lead. Check current draw, with doors closed and everything off, there should be only about.1 To.3 Max amps, if more something is on, a stuck relay maybe. When its sorted have a tune up, what a great Xmas present.

Mhpautos