98 - OIL LEAKING ON ENGINE

1998 Jaguar XJR

I have oil leaking on my engine and getting into the air intake. It seems to be coming from the full load breather tube (into the air intake) and possibly out of the oil filler cap. The car runs fine, but starts a little rough and blows smoke out the exhaust when 1st started. Any suggestions?
Skanoski

Hi there,

This is usually an indication of an engine that is " breathing" heavily That is the internal pressure of the crankcase (not the combustion cylinders) is some what excessive. This can be caused by a number of things, primary worn or broken piston rings. When a cylinder is not sealed properly, this is the primary function of the rings, excessive crankcase pressure builds up and as this is vented via the P.C valve back to the air filter, the extra air being vented is carrying atomised oil particles, which condense in the cooler air filter and collects as oil build up. The first thing to do is have a compression test completed to asitane the condition of the rings, With this knowledge your mechanic can advise you on the best course of action.

Mhpautos
Hello, there is a reason you have oil in the air intake tube. On the drivers cam cover or valve cover as it is known. It is plugged this is the pcv system. It I needs to be plugged, if you disconect the vacum lline and then use a 3/32 drill bit with some brake clean. Spray into the cam cover at the vacum line. Then move the drill bit in and out. This will unplug the cam cover. Then you need to clean the throttle body with a rag to get the oil out of it and rinse the air tube out also. This should take care of you probllem
as for the smoke you have oil in the intake from the part load tube being blocked. The only way you can remove the oil is too remove the intake and turn on end and the oil will come out. It should eventually stop after cleaning the part load cleaner. Hope this helps please let me know and reply thanks pat

Fstranger302