ENGINE NOISE

2000 Jaguar XJ8

Engine problem
2000 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles

I have a 2000 Jaguar XJ8. I took it to get an oil change and the next day, the vehicle started to make a "knocking" noise. I checked the oil level to make sure that everything was being lubricated and the oil level was extremely low. I added approximately 2 quarts (the vehicle takes appx. 7-8), but the problem still persisted. I called the business that performed the oil change and told them that I thought it to be a rod knock. However, when I took it to another mechanic, they told me that the "knocking" was coming from the valve area; not something that could be associated with a faulty oil change. What do you think then? It just seems too extraordinary to be coincidence... Plus, the business that performed the oil change recognized the issue at hand as something that they might have caused. Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Todd G.
Fredericksburg, VA

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/144109_IMG_0031_1.jpg

Tgillingham

Hello, the noise your probaly hearing is the upper tensioners. The could have gone bad due to lack of engine oil. Such as not enough oil. You have to have the vlave covers removed and have them inspected.
There is a plastic piece that will fall off. I could cause a timing chain to break if it gets stuck, so I would get it checked as soon as possible. Hope this helps

Fstranger302