CAR WILL NOT PROGRAM

1999 Jaguar XJ8

1999 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 37401 miles

I drove my 99 XK8 into my friends shop to have body work done, while the car was there the key was lost so I had a replacement key cut. I was informed by the dealer to bring the car in because the car would not start if the key was not programmed to the vehicle. I had the car towed to the dealer and was told they keep getting a error message when trying to connect to the car to program the key. The service tech recommended replacing the Body Processor Module and I did, still no luck same message when he tries to connect. The tech performed an electrical diagnostic from bumper to bumper and found that everything is recieving proper signal and working fine but he still cant get into the car via the OBD connector. The car has been @ the dealer for almost 3 weks now with no luck. A new key has been cut, Key fob issued, immobilization unit checked, KTM checked, and all other diagnostic attempts to the car can be achieved but when its time to connect to program key transponder. No luck. Please help. I will donate more to any tech that can solve this issue
Jaguar99

Is it a no communication thru OBD II, or Key not programmable? If it's the later, have them try another key? Get your friend to find that lost key!
What displays on the scan tool when connected to the DLC(data link connector)?

Merlin2021
It seems like its no communication from the OBD II, but the thing is when its hooked up thru the OBD II codes can be read and all other diagnostic info can be retrieved but when its time to program the key an error comes up. The dealer said he tried another key but he cant get into to system to even attempt to program it

Jaguar99
And as far as the message that appears, its just says error connecting. The dealer has this laptop with this program they use to program keys and in that program everything else that he tries to do with the car works but when it comes time to program key he gets an error message. The key that is cut controls all the accessories ie. Windows, locks, even put the top down, but he cant get into the system as he says to program the key so the car will start

Jaguar99
The program should allow the sealer to read the switch posistion and door lock actuator posistion, can he read this info? Can they operate the locks by the laptop?

Merlin2021
I went there today and the technician said he could read the switch position and control the locks. He also said that Jaguar support called him and said that since the airbags are not in the car, he would not be able to program the keys. He said he has an airbag simulator e can use but he still isnt sure if that will work. Could that be the needle in the haystack?

Jaguar99
Jag support should know if that will work or not. It's worth a try.

Merlin2021
Well at first they had no idea, it seemed as though everything they came up with had already been tried so at this point I guess its still trial and error. I'll keep you updated but is there anything else you can think of for me to tell the tech to try just in case

Jaguar99
You mentioned the air bags not being in the car, did it come with air bags from the factory? If yes, then either the simulator, or reinstall airbags. If not, Jag should have made a provision to enable key programming.

Merlin2021
Update, the tech performed the simulator and no luck. The car did come with airbags but hey were deployed when the car was driven into the shop. The car did start and drive with the original keys while the airbags were deployed though

Jaguar99
From what my bodyshop buddy tells me, if even one air bag deploys, ALL SRS sytem must be replaced on these newer cars, EXPENSIVE. Any insurance coverage?

Merlin2021