I CAN'T OPEN THE TRUNK OF MY '96 PLEASE

1996 Jaguar XJ6

1996 Jaguar XJ6 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

HI, I THOUGHT I'D LOCKED THE KEYS IN THE CAR AND SOMEONE TRIED TO PUSH THE OPEN TRUNK OR OPEN THE DOOR WITH A HANGER. THEN I FOUND MY KEYS. ONE OF MY FRIENDS OPENED AND CLOSED THE TRUNK AND NOW IT WON'T OPEN AT ALL.

HE SAID IT WAS A FUSE.

IS IT A FUSE? THE JAG PARTS DEPT. SAID IT'S NOT A FUSE AND THERE'S A LATCH BEHIND THE LICENSE PLATE. THAT DOESN'T WORK EITHER.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

THANKS
Denawebster

This is a good one. I had to look at my own trunk latch to get an idea. First, everything in your car has a fuse, but doesn't sound like your problem. It sounds like the old coat hanger trick may have pulled the linkage rod off between the manual release and the latch. The only thing I can think of is; If you look in under the center of bottom lip of the trunk lid below the license plate and behind the weather stripping you will see the trunk latch. In the middle of the latch is a small phillips head screw. This screw holds the dust cover on. Remove this screw and push the plastic cover down out of the way. On the upper right side of the latch you will see a lever. With a small screw driver, push the lever up or to the left. This should release the latch. Hope it works. James

James W.