WON'T START

1995 Jaguar XJ6

1995 Jaguar XJ6 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 107000 miles

My 1995 Jag XJ6 started up great every single time, even in snowy, frigid weather. All of a sudden it just simply wouldn't. All the dash lights come on, the windows and doors all still work, but no turn over. I had a mobile repair guy come out and check it. He said the battery's got plenty of charge. He can get it started with under the hood doing whatever you mechanics do, so apparently the starter's good. When the key is turned on he says he doesn't hear the fuel injector motor come on. Since both starter and injector systems are suddenly affected, he wondered if the alarm system has something to do with all this. I don't have a remote clicker, just keys. He's not gotten back to me.I've been researching and have found the valet switch and am going to look for the inertia switch today.(I've not been in any wrecks though) Grasping at straws.I'm a woman and this is not my area of expertise at all. Any suggestions before I have to have it towed 75 miles to the dealership? It's been sitting for almost 2 months. Is there some starter disable system I can over-ride? Some trick with the alarm? Thanks in advance.

He may have swapped the starter relay for one of the other relays, Dose it crank with the key turned? Or nothing? Did it start when he did his thing under the hood? The relay is behind the left headlight, try swapping it with one of the others...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Starter_relay_1.jpg

Merlin2021
No, the car won't crank at all. He did something with a screw driver under the hood to get it going. Something about " making it arc" ? He said since he was able to do this he thought the starter was okay. He didn't replace anything under the hood.

He crossed the starter solenoid, I dont know if you know how this is done, but if done wrong you may wish you paid the tow. If this did start the car, a new starter which comes with the solenoid would probably fix it. Follow the positive battery cable(RED) it will take you to the solenoid, mounted on the starter. Cross the terminal with the battery cable to the one marked to the other one on the starter, leave the ignition key in the on position and it should start.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Solenoid_1.jpg

Merlin2021
So do you think this has nothing at all to do with the alarm system disabling the starter/ ignition system?

I think if you can start it like this, then either the starter, or the ignition switch is the problem.

Merlin2021