STARTER RELAY OR STARTER SOLENOID?

1985 Jaguar Vanden Plas

1985 Jaguar Vanden Plas 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

After driving out to check my mail, I turned the ignition key to the off position and without letting the engine die down completely, I goofed and restarted the engine and repositioned the car in my driveway. When I took the key out and exited the car I could hear what I thought was a fan-type sound coming from the passenger side of the hood area. When I opened the hood I found that the starter or something on it was spinning causing the fan sound. I still had the ignition key in my hand, so I disconected the positive cable to the battery and the sound stopped. When I hooked the red cable back to the battery, the engine attempted to start without even having the ignition on. I tried this one more time the starter engaged again, and then I left the cable off and am waiting 'till I find out the solution to the problem. Thank you for your assistance on this, I have an '84 car for parts but I don't know what to swap out to solve this.
Baconbob

Hi baconbob, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Do not connect battery positve cable on-do this disconnect the white and red wire at the starter solenoid now put cable on-did the fan sound stops if so check and test or replace/swap the starter relay with a like one if it stops replace relay continues replace the ignition switch-

So. From what you stated in your reply, the solenoid is doing it's job but it is recieving an improper current from either the relay or the ignition switch? With the key out of the ignition and the problem still occuring, would that narrow it down to the relay, and where would the relay be located please? The only reason I ask about the location of the relay is because all the wiring is encased in wire-harness wrap and I don't really want to cut all that stuff open and expose the wires to the elements and such? Also, would it be better to buy a new relay instead of putting one onto my '85 Jag that came off an '84? Thank you. Bob S.

Baconbob
The ignition switch powers the starter relay while in cranking position. Now if the relay is sticking closed it will constantly energize the relay with and w/o the key. If the relay is not sticking the ignition switch is defective

The starter relay is located at rear of engine compartment near battery

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_jag_starter_relay_1.jpg

Thank you very much.I'll give it a try.

Baconbob
We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future. Thank you

2CarPros Linsey