AIR CONDITIONER/GASKET

1990 Jaguar Sovereign

Air Conditioning problem
1990 Jaguar Sovereign 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 72,500 miles

Two issues-oil gasket leaking. What to do? Should I have one that mechanic says he can get rebuilt?

2ndissue-the worst. I am living in desert. My air went out. Stopped. Service guy gave it a recharge & it lasted 3 weeks. Stopped again Have hot air blowing
Yes, it was converted. What can I expect to get air-do they have to put whole new system since car is l990 or what? Frantic, frankly, as on a tight budget, no way to buy or lease other car. HELP, please
Pauli palm springs

Hi there,

With out knowing where the oil leak is I can't comment, if you can advise on this leak that would be a big help, as for the A/C I would first get a leak test done, this may be a simple fix if it is a leaking hose union.

Mhpautos
Do I have to go to a Jag mechanic to get leak test or can a place like Meineke do it?

Re Gasket-leaks bown oil toward front of car. That's all I know. Mechanic says gasket bad and wants $900 to fix it.

Disturbed about both as gasket affects power steering. But AIR here in the desert-, my car is undriveable. Would you go to Dealer, a Jag mechanic or where? Thanks

Pauli palm springs
The A/C can be checked by any workshop that does A/C repairs. What they will do is add a small charge of refrigerant with a leak detector dye, as it leaks it will leave a stain, I would get a second quote on the oil leak and a better description of what is wrong, just a gasket sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Mhpautos
Thanks for reply. It is the gasket that affects the power steering.

Re the A/c they did a test, saw that it leaked, charged it and it ran for 3 weeks. Not working now.
What am I up for on this issue since it's a l990? Do they repair the leak, or have to do a whole new system. That's my worry. Thanks

Pauli palm springs
Do you know if it is the steering rack or the pump that is leaking/ this will make a fair difference in Price, as for the A/C leak, it may be as simple as a seal but we do need to get the dye leak test done to confirm the actual cause of th leak.

Mark

Mhpautos