MODELS S-TYPE, SUDDEN ENGINE FAILURE

2005 Jaguar Other

2005 Other Jaguar Models 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

Hello, My s-type has been running great but every once in awhile all of the warning lights will come on and the car will stagger then no longer accelerate. The engine continues to run. So I turn off the car and turn it back on and it is fine. For a while. What could it be and what can I do? --Raleigh
Raleigh1232

Do you get any check engine or VCM codes?

James W.
I have not taken the car to a mechanic yet. But I did notice that it is happening much more often lately. The car stopped responding to the gas pedal and and all of the warning lights came on seven times today. Also, when I put the car in park to turn it off, the rpm's jump to 2000. There is also a yellow check engine light on constantly.

Raleigh1232
You need to scan the ECM, or have it scanned to find out what tripped your check engine light. This should pretty much pinpoint your problem. Keep me posted.

James W.
The reason he asks about the check engine light is because that will give us the best starting point for our diagnosis. Autozone scans the computers for free. It sounds like you may have a problem with the accelerator position sensor, we have seen a lot lately, not neccessarily in jags but overall.

Mastertechtim
O.K. I went to Autozone and got the codes. They were P1111 and P2135. They also printed out a little sheet of paper for me which states that " the ECM detected TP 1 and TP 2 do not agree.&Quot; Also, it lists the probable causes as 1) " failed throttle position sensor" 2) open or short circuit condition. What's my next step?

Raleigh1232
I recomend you change the TPS, throttle position sensor.

James W.
I can't find a TPS for a 2005 S-Type anywhere but a 2000-2004 is easy to come by. Any idea why?

Raleigh1232
I believe it comes free with a throttle body assembly. Here is a web site of a place I just had a saab throttle body rebuilt from that had the same problem. Bba-reman just google it. They will actually take your throttle body and rebuild it if they dont have a exchange.

Mastertechtim
Is it possible that I just need to have the throttle body cleaned? Also, how much would a rebuilt throttle assembly cost me compared to a new one?

Raleigh1232
Raleigh, The availability of a TPS sensor, by itself, is not looking good. I have a few people looking and am waiting for more info. The price of a complete " new" throttle body is about $1300 bucks. To answer your question on cleaning the one you have. You could try it, but there isn't much there to clean. What I need from you to expand my search is the following.
Vin #
2 wheel or all wheel drive
Motor size; 2.8 or 3.0
Transmission type
Let me know on the above and I can check further, Jim.

James W.
Page 1 of 2