MODELS RADIATOR COOLING FAN RUNS ALL OF TH

2003 Jaguar Other

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Other Jaguar Models 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 38,000 miles

X-type Jag.
The cooling fan comes on immediately when the car starts. It runs extra-fast for a few minutes until the car warms up, then it sort of downshifts to a lower speed.
Stays on while the car is operating, shuts off when car is turned off. Operating temperatures are normal, not high.
I realize it's better to have this running than not at all, but it just runs all of the time when it didn't before. Prior to this it only engaged in stop & go traffic, and even then it was rare.

My guess is there is a stuck relay or thermostat, but I'd like to know a bit more about it. If it's a relay, perhaps I can avoid the dealer.

Any ideas? Thank you!
Tess Tickle

ELECTRIC COOLING FAN
There are 2 variable speed electric cooling fans housed in the cooling fan shroud for cooling of the radiator. The speed of the electric cooling fans are adjusted by the cooling fan motor control module, which is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM).
The ECM determines the cooling fan speed by receiving inputs from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and the Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DATC) module. The ECM sends a variable Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to the fan motor control module to operate the cooling fans at the required speed. The cooling fans are operated at slow speed when the engine coolant temperature is at 203 °F (95 °C) and are operated at full speed when the engine coolant temperature is at 221 °F (105 °C). A coolant temperature between these temperatures will cause the cooling fans to be operated at a speed which is proportional to the engine coolant temperature.
When the engine is running with the ECT above 212 °F (100 °C), if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position the cooling fans will continue to operate for a time which is determined by the ECM. The ECM will continue to control the fan speed to provide an extended period of cooling as required to protect the engine. The ECM will remain on and obtain a run-on time from a pair of " look-up maps". The fan speed PWM signal is maintained for the duration of the run-on time. At the end of the time period, the cooling fans will be turned off and then the ECM turns off. Maximum time is 6 minutes and 40 seconds.
If the PWM signal from the ECM to the cooling fan control module is 7-95 percent, the cooling fan control module will operate the cooling fans at the required speed. If the PWM signal from the ECM to the cooling fan control module is below 3 percent and above 95 percent, the cooling fan control module will operate the cooling fans at maximum speed. If the PWM signal from the ECM to the cooling fan control module is between 3-7 percent, the cooling fans will not be operated.

Dave H