SUDDEN SLIP OR DRAG.

1990 Isuzu Trooper

1990 Isuzu Trooper 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

I have a drive train problem. Reman trans put in aprox 5 yrs ago. All of a sudden I now have a drag or slip problem. Checked fluids. Seemed fine but changed them anyway. No noise. Coasts no problems. Once up to speed cannot notice problem. The symtom occurs when a load is on the vehicle. This occurs in 2wd 4wd high but I do not seem to experience this in 4wd low. With vehicle on the ground in nuetral I can spin the cv of the right front with my hand. I cannot do this with the left front side. Is this a clutch slip problem or an 4 wheel drive type problem. There was no lead up to this event. Can I disable the 4 wd? I don't use it and am not sure it works anyway. Need to fix the problem myself if possible. Money is an issue for me. That is why I am still driving and fixing this vehicle.
Yosef

Hi Yosef,

Thank you for the donation.

The 4WD only works when it is selected and is disabled when not selected.

Does front hub has auto or manual locking hubs?

When you are not able to turn the left CV shaft with gears in neutral, the likely cause would be the locking hubs. You need to check if it is stuck and if it is manual, check if it is in the free position.

It would cause the dragging problem.

As to the slipping, there is a possibility the clutch is beginning to fail and in H2 and H4, it would tend to slip easier due to the higher gear ratio. With L4, the lower gear ratio would cover up the slippage.

If the slippage is from the clutch, the problem is going to get worse over time.

It has auto locking hubs.

How would I check both of these?

Overall though I will need to change out the clutch sometime soon? Yes?
How bad is it to drive for the time being? About a week and a half before I can do the change or bring it in to change.

Thanks you, Yosef

Yosef
Yes, the clutch needs to be replaced soon. If the slipping is not too bad, you would still be able to drive it but avoid high torque driving, ie keep the acceleration gentle to avoid slipping as much as possible.

For the auto locking hubs, remove the cover to check the lubrications behind the hub. To test it, jack up the wheel and turn it while ensuring the axle shaft does not turn. Insufficient lubricants can cause the hub to lock and not disengage.

I can turn the wheel only part of the way. When I pull the cv from the wheel the wheel turns free. The cv is what is catching on one side of the case. Is this a different type problem? Wondering if it is just a bad hub. How do I unlock this hub?
Thank you.

Yosef
When the CV is pulled from the wheel, are you able to turn the shaft freely tooo? If no, then you need to check the differential.

Here is a diagram of the locking hud. If differential is ok, remove the hub and check item #5 for seizing.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_AutoLockingHub90TrooperFig01_1.jpg