BYPASSING NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH (NSS)

1989 Isuzu Trooper

1989 Isuzu Trooper 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 162000 miles

A replacement neutral safety switch (NSS) for my '89 Isuzu Trooper with automatic transmission is over $230.00 for the part, plus labor to install. Not an option.

But the switch seems to be on its last legs. Twice now it has refused to recognize that it is in park or neutral, so the starter gets no power. I have to run the shift lever up and down through the shift channel a few times, then the NSS will complete the circuit and the starter gets power. (I think the circuit that gets completed is the starter relay ground circuit, but that could be wrong.)

Does anyone know where on this car, under the hood, I can find the two wires that come up from the NSS, and provide the ground for the starter relay?

I have the factory service manual for a 1990 Trooper, and found a connector on the right fender panel (toward the rear, a black connector) that is involved in the NSS, but I'm not clear which two wires in that connector are what I seek.

Looking at the connector from the top, the manual suggests it is the two black wires with the color stripe.

When the NSS quits for good, can I connect those two wires together to ground the starter relay and start the car?

Is there a better workaround when the NSS fails?

(Thank you. And I appreciate your forbearance in not pontificating a safety sermon regarding the NSS.)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/51624_DSC02925_1.jpg

Reybarry

Amigo, Pickup & Trooper II (4WD) 1. Move gear selector to the "N" position. Loosen neutral start switch bolt (behind transmission lever) and ensure that transmission lever is in the "N" position. 2. Align the groove and neutral basic line of transmission lever and neutral switch. Tighten neutral start switch bolt. Check that vehicle starts only in the "P" and "N" positions. Page 1 of 1 SERVICING - A/T -1989 Isuzu Trooper II S 3/24/2009 Could it be just out of adjustment?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_nssisuzu_1.jpg

Junkyard perhaps? With the internet, finding one should be possible. Even aftermarket they are 200.00. But looking at the wiring diagram, connect the white/black, to the green black on the opposite connector, see if that works, you will be able to crank in ALL gears!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_nss_1.jpg

Merlin2021
It says in the box " edit/delete" the post but alas, there is no way to delete a post, even one of your own.

Reybarry
Many thanks, Merlin2021.

We got passed the problem temporarily by cleaning and TLC of the NSS. Since then it's been 12 for 12 successful starts and I'm no longer counting.

But this old warrier Trooper is old enough to vote, so when the day comes and I'm dead in the parking space unable to crank, a printout of your message in my glove box will remind me what to try first.

Rey in Virginia

Reybarry
Very good. Thank you for the rep points! Feedback is good!

Merlin2021