QUESTION ENGINE CHOKING FIRST THING IN THE

1997 Isuzu Rodeo

1997 Isuzu Rodeo Question 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 244000 miles

Ever since it has gotten a little bit warmer out, meaning 40 degrees or so, my rodeo seems to choke out some when I start it first thing in the morning. If it sits for 12 hours or more then when I go to start it, I have to give it a little bit of gas and let it warm up for a long time before I can pull out without it dying. Then I have to drive it just a little bit, not even a mile and then it comes out of the bogged down engine and drive just fine. The check engine light is of course flashing during this warm up time. I know my rodoe has a light of miles on it, but I need it to last a little bit longer. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to fix it? I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!
Bmckenzie77

Go to an Auto Zone see if they can get a code then post will advise.

Docfixit
I got the codes and well, there are 7 of them. Now the check engine light has been on for years! I have almost always got the problems fixed so I am not sure if some of these are old or what.

P0430
P0440
P0135
P0153
P0305
P1406
P0420

I also noticed an exhaust leak this morning. I know I need to break down and just get a newer car, but I can't really afford that right now and would like to keep this thing running for as long as I can. Any input would be much appreciated!

Bmckenzie77
Codes indicate faulty O2s. cattalytic convertor and miss in cyl. 5 also EGR circuit open /short. How long since last tune? If you have an OHM meter check resistence of Engine Coolant sensor rear engine in coolant manifold.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_414.jpg

Clean MAF sensor with appropiate cleaner.
ECT ohm reading at 68 deg is 3500 ohms

Docfixit
Would the tune up just consist of sparg plugs and a new air filter, or what do you suggest? I am thinking about those 2 things and a radiator flush. Thank you for your help!

Bmckenzie77
Plugs, air& fuel filters clean MAF and throttle body. Check ECT resistence maybe cause for stumbling at cold start

Docfixit