RODEO

1999 Isuzu Other

I have a 1999 Rodeo and a couple of years ago an oil change went wrong and blew my engine. It was replaced with a rebuilt engine. Now my water pump seized which apparently did something to my timing chain. So my repair person fixed it - I told them if I had to put more than $1,000 into the repair I would just sell it. It came in at $980. THEN they couldn't start it and it seems the rods are bent and something is scored and it's another $2,600.

My question; wouldn't the timing chain and water pump have been replaced with the rebuilt motor?

Wouldn't they have been able to tell that the other problems existed BEFORE I was $980 into it?

Professional advice, pls.
Much appreciation.
Swierenga

Yes the chain and pump should have been replaced at the time of the rebuild. They could have perfomed a leakdown test to see if the valves were sealing before they put the chain and pump in it, but they couldnt foresee bent rods unless the leakdown showed bent/broken valves, then the natural thing to assume is that the piston/pistons are junk and the possibility of a bent rod is good

Jack42
See what the warranty you have on the engine. Jasper engines for example carry a 3 year/75,000 mile warranty.