STARTER

1973 International Scout

1973 International Scout V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual Unknow miles

Have a quick question (at least I think it's quick).

I have a '73 International Scout II. It has a dead spot on the flywheel, so every now and again (approx. Every 6-7 starts) there's a good singing going on. Typically, I'll re-try and it'll start.

On Saturday I had a beast of a time trying to start it. It eventually worked, but took awhile. I didn't do any driving Sunday, but tried to fire her up tonight. The first time, it hit that dead spot and sang. The second time it tried to start but wouldn't turn over (which isn't altogether atypical. It takes awhile to start when it's cold anyway).

However, I tried a 3rd time and nothing. I turned the key in the ignition to the spot where it would usually the engine would kick in and start trying to turn over, but now nothing. No sounds, no turning over, nothing. I think it's done this before, but usually I'll reset the key and turn the ignition again and it'll trigger the engine. This time however I tried five or six time and nothing. It was as if the ignition wasn't triggering the starter or something. Not sure.

Is this indicative of a starter issue, or a wiring issue in the steering column? Or, is it something altogether different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Tom
Tbbuchanan

I think you have 2 problems.

The starter is bad.
And
the engine keeps coming to rest at a strong cylinder and the starter keeps engaging the teeth on the flywheel in the same spot.

Replacing the starter (which will include a new starter drive gear) may solve your problem for years.
Or the bad spot on the flywheel will be an on going problem for you.

Good luck

Buddycraigg