TRANSMISSION FILTER CHANGE

2000 Infiniti Infinity QX4

2000 Infinity QX4 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

After installing a transmission filter and changing out the differential fluid, we cannot get the car to move when it is in gear and we also wanted to change out the fluid from the trq. Converter so we un hooked the positive pressure side to the transmission cooler and no fluid is coming out.

The replacement filter did not fit as snug as the other filter that I took off but it worked. I don't think that any fluid is getting circulated in the transmission, thus the car is not moving.

I plan on putting back in the old filter and seeing if that will make a difference. I don't think any serious transmission damaged has occurred but if I could be re assured that would be great.

thanks!
Blaze45

Hi blaze45,

If the engine was not started for too long, then there should be no damage to the transmission.

Did you check if any trouble codes are stored?

It ended up being the incorrect filter. Once the proper filter was installed, everything was fine.

My next question is, how in the world do I check the fluid? Everytime I pull the dip stick out when the car is running or not hot or cold there is fluid all over the dip stick. I don't think that it is over filled.

Blaze45
The recommendation is to check the fluid level with the engine idling and at fluid temperature of 122 - 176 degrees Farenheit.

If the fluid is too new, they would tend to be difficult to see on the dipstick.

When engine is cold, check the level wihout starting the engine first to get an idea where it is. If it is at hot level, then you might have overfilled the fluids and this would cause the dipstick to be splashed with fluid when engine is idling.

Try checking the dipstick on only one side. Usually one side would not be splashed with fluids.