STARTING ISSUES

1999 Infiniti G20

1999 Infiniti G20 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 65, 00 miles

I have been having intermittent starting problems on a 1999 Infiniti G20. It has a new battery since the old one was 6 years old and weak. That did not solve the problem.

After cleaning the terminals with my old battery and reconnecting, I got nothing, no clicks. A friend said to lock and unlock with the remote so I did and it started.

Then I replaced the battery and the same thing-no clicks. After locating the starter and tapping it with he key turned to start, it started.

There is a plate covering the starter/solenoid and it is very tight. This starter is 18 months old. Is it the solenoid, starter or both? Are they one unit? How do you get at the starter mounting bolts?
Ikus

You have to replace the solenoid and starter as a unit. Remove your air filter hose, so you can see better and have more room. It is kind of tricky, but you will both starter bolt. I had to use an extension as my ratchet head is too big up close.

Zackman