CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON

2006 Hyundai Sonata

2006 Hyundai Sonata 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 17500 miles

After roughly 2 1/2 years of owning and operating my new Sonata my check engine light came on and it stays on. When I first noticed the car seemed to run rough like it was missing. I continued driving it to my Drs. Appointment and when I came back out and started it the light was still came on but it quit the missing that was there before. Do you have any idea what's going on. If I take it to a dealer are they going to charge me for determining and fixing the problem? Is this covered by their 100,000 mile warranty? Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Wayne
Wloiselle

Yes it should be covered under your warrantee.

However, you can go by your local AutoZone and have them pull codes for you. That way when you do take it in you know what could be wrong with the vehicle. You may also post the codes here and we will give you and idea of what the problem is.

Obxautomedic
I intitally posted a question before I figured out how to fix the problem. My check engine lite came on and stayed on. Just prior to it doing so my car bucked like it was missing. Like it might have back fired. After I shut the car off and started it again it ran smoothly. No missing but the check engine lite was still on. I then disconnected the positive battery cable which re-set the computer in the car and bingo. The check engine lite did not come on again. Apparently what happened was that a piece of carbon or dirt temporaily fouled the plug which caused a code to be sent to the compute which triggered the check engine lite to come on. Car is running great once again.

Wloiselle