SPUTTERS OFF AND ON

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

Suddenly started cutting in and out at times. When running, the tach will stop working and it will start cutting out especially when the rpms are low like at gear changes. If I keep the rpms up, it won't do it much at all. When I first start each morning it runs fine for a couple of minutes. Started this about a week ago with no notice and have had no problems before. Have had 3 places put it on the computer as the " check engine" light is on and it says it is misfiring and it will be running smooth at the time. They also say the codes it puts out are not consistant with any they have seen. One says it sounds like a cranksaft sensor. Everyone else just says they will start going through it.
Benthere01

Does it get worse when climbing a hill or under a heavy load? If so, have them check the fuel pump pressure. If not, it sounds like the one mechanic may be right, crank sensor.

Let me know.

Pulling anything or going up hill does not make a difference. I have been told now the timeing belt pully is bad and if that is not it it could be a CO2 sensor if not the crank sensor.

Benthere01
Hi benthere01,
how did you end up solving your problem?
My car is giving me the same problem

Mcztr
The O2 sensor would set the check engine light. The crank sensor could be the issue. However, a bad timing belt would be all the time.