SANTA FE ENGINE WHINE ON ACCELERATION

2001 Hyundai Other

Hi guys,

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe, 6 cyl, 2 wd, mi: 101,000, automatic transmission - I just recently (2 days ago) noticed that the vehicle idles a little louder when started, even after warming up. I also hear a noticible whine from 0 - whatever speed I accelerate to, no matter how slow or fast I'm going.

I recently had the front left wheel bearings replaced and have not had the timing belt replaced yet or the transmission serviced for about 30,000 miles. There's no loss of power, no overheating, no other noticible noises, no dummy lights coming on, no leaks and the vehicle runs and shifts very smoothly. A/C works fine (I just had it charged because it was starting to blow a little warm, but it's back to ice cold like it was before.)

I read in another forum where one 2001 Elantra had a similar problem because of an O2 sensor and the mechanics asked the owner if they lived in a moist cool area. It's late June here in PA and VERY humid the last few days, but the temp hasn't gone below the mid 60's for 5 or 6 days, even at night, it really hasn't been that cool. I've never noticed this with the vehicle since I bought it with 57,000 miles on it.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Gman22

Does the noise change with engine speed or is it more like actual vehicle speed? At 100k I would have the timing belt done regardless. Along with a water pump

Jack42
The pitch of the noise stays the same but it gets louder as I accelerate. I also hear it with the vehicle in neutral or park when I step on the gas.

It's not a high-pitched whine, but almost the sound that those older vehicles with turbo engines made. It's also consistent, meaning neither the pitch nor the steadiness ever fluctuate.

It's so consistent, if it wasn't a brand new sound, I'd almost think the vehicle was supposed to sound the way it does upon acceleration.

I've also scheduled to bring it in Saturday to replace the timing belt. Would a timing belt going bad make that sound?

Gman22
It is possible. Could also be an accessory noise such as an alternator bearing or tensioner bearing

Jack42
An alternator or tensioner bearing makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Gman22
Your welcome

Jack42
Hi guys,

Just a follow-up to this sound. I ended up getting the timing belt replaced about a month ago, but the whine didn't change. I've done nothing else to the vehicle since and last week, the whine vanished.

I started it up one morning and noticed it right away. Still not sure what it could be, but if I find out, I'll let you know.

Gman22