"PINGING" NOISE

2009 Hyundai Elantra

Noises problem
2009 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 1000 miles

I have this " pinging" noise under the car/hood. I believe it to be the catalytic converter. I was told by the dealership it is normal. I get that. However, it annoys me " big time.&Quot; There must be some way to fix this, even if it means replacing the c.C. I don't like that my car pings like crazy once it reaches temp and for 10 mins. After I shut it off. It drives me nuts! This is the first car that has done this that I bought (unfortunately I did not hear it when I test drove the car). So whatever it is that made the other cars not do it I want to do to this car so it is quiet.

Everyone keep telling me " deal with it.&Quot; I also realize most people would not care, but I just do. LOL! There must be something I can do about it. I have researched suggestions like upgrading the gas I use and replacing the catalytic converter. What do you suggest? I don't want a " ping crazy" car.

Thanks,
Paul L.
P.laughlin

Could be overheating, EGR valve that's not opening, a knock sensor that doesn't retard the ignition timing

This could be happening on a brand new car? The dealership just said that is how the car is. It just makes that noise bec. Of the metals expanding at diff. Rates.

P.laughlin
So.I took the car in again. I test drove a new Elantra which was not making the noise. They swapped my catalytic converter for the quiet one in the other car. It solved the problem. Well for a day. The car was nice and quiet without pinging. Exactly one day later it started again. And by today it is pining away nice and loudly again. Wow! It's great! NOT! Do other 09 Elantra's do this? It is most noticable after you shut it off. It " pings" under the hood.

-Paul

P.laughlin