IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE

2000 Hyundai Elantra

2000 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My check engine recently came on and I went to Auto Zone to have it checked out. The problem is my Idle Air Control Valve. The fellow at Auto Zone Suggested Cleaning it and I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to do so. Thanks in advance.
Juggalo4894

Here's how to clean the IAC valve: Disconnect the air intake ductwork from the throttle body.

Start the engine, then increase and hold the idle speed to 1,000 to 1,500 rpm.

Spray the throttle cleaner or engine cleaner into the throat of the throttle body, aiming for the idle air bypass port (usually located on the side or top of the throttle body opening). Give this area a good dose of cleaner (about 10 second's worth).

Turn the engine off to allow the cleaner to soak into the IAC passageway.

Wait about three minutes.

Restart the engine, rev and hold at 1,000 to 1,500 rpm, and repeat the cleaning process again.

Turn the engine off again, and reattach the air intake ductwork to the throttle body.

Start the engine and rev and hold to 1,500 to 2,000 rpm until no white smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe.

If this fails to make any difference, you can remove the IAC valve from the throttle body and spray cleaner directly on the tip of the valve and/or into the ports in the throttle body. Let the cleaner soak awhile, repeat as needed, then reinstall the IAC valve, start the engine and run it at 1,500 to 2,000 rpm as before until no white smoke is seen in the exahust.

If the idle speed still surges after this, the IAC valve is defective and needs to be replaced.

Is it possible for the IAC to cause all the lights to dim on the car and cause the car to die and idle really low when slowing down for red lights and turns etc? And is the Idle Speed Control Actuator the same thing because it's the only thing close to an IAC I could find in my book

Juggalo4894
Test the ISC actuator this the one that controls idle speed. You might wanna check the charging system the alternator could be failing

Yea the Alternator was my first suspicion so I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new one along with all the belts. And how exactly do you test the ISC?

Juggalo4894
Clean out the idle air control valve/ISC follow my earlier suggestion and see what happens if it continues replace it

Is there another name for the IAC? I have the Haynes guide for my car and it doesn't have in in there.

Juggalo4894