FRONT END NOISE

2005 Hummer H2

Noises problem
2005 Hummer H2 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

HELLO, I HAVE A 05 HUMMER H2 SUT JUST WANTED TO KNOW HOW WOULD I KNOW IF THE AXLE OR THE WHEEL BEARINGS WERE GOING OUT. THE PROBLEM IS WHILE DRIVING I HERE A WEIRED SOUND COMING FROM THE FRONT PASSENGER SIDE OF VEHICLE. IF I TURN THE STEERING WHEEL TO THE RIGHT OR LEFT IT WOULD STOP UNTIL I RETURN THE WHEEL STRAIGHT. WHAT COULD THIS BE. THANKS
Ruderodd1

Typically the axle will make a noise at most any time if something is worn. Checking the wheel bearings can be done by lifting the front wheels, grasping at 12 and 6, and checking for movement or wobble. Does the noise occur at any, and all speeds. Can a second person walk next to it at walking speed and hear it.

Factoryjack
THANKS FOR RESPONDING, NO THE NOISE CAN ONLY BE HEARD FROM THE INSIDE AT ABOUT 45-50 MILES PER HOUR. IT SOUNDS LIKE A TYPE OF " HUMMING". DOES THE AXLE BEARING MAKE NOISES WHEN GOING OUT? WOULD THE POWER STEERING MAKE A " HUMMING SOUND" WHEN GOING OUT? VERY PUZZLED ABOUT THIS, I HARDLY DRIVE IT. I WILL CHECK THE BEARINGS FOR MOVEMENT.

Ruderodd1
To answer your question, any bearing should make noises when going out. The power steering would make a hum type noise, but I would think that you would also hear it when stationary and run up to the rpm range you hear it at. If it goes away with slight steering influences, and you say it's heard from the passenger side, instinct would lead me to a wheel bearing. It is hard to say, realistically, I can only offer possibilities. If the noise can be duplicated on a lift with the vehicle run up to the speeds the noise occurs at, you might be able to hear it with a stethoscope or some other transmitting device(long screwdriver/prybar). The problem with that, is some bearing noises tend to not be present without the load on them. My approach, if it were in my stall and probability didn't lead me to a conclusive answer, I would use what is called a 'Chassis ear'. It is an electronic device with sensors that can be mounted in various locations, and using a switch box, you can listen to the noise that each sensor is registering. It enables a process of elimination on noises that only happen dynamically.

Factoryjack
WHAT ABOUT THE TRANSFER CASE. WHILE UNDER H2 I NOTICE WETNESS AROUND THE CASE BOLTS. IF THERE WERE LOW FLUIDS WOULD THAT MAKE THE HUM SOUND?

Ruderodd1
It is quite possible, it only holds a quart and a half of ATF. I am not sure if it would change with steering inputs.

Factoryjack