CLUTCH PROBLEMS SHIFTING

1998 Honda Prelude

My car recently started to get difficult to shift between gears. It shifts fine when stopped but when I try to shift into 2nd- 5th it is hard to get into these gears. Ive changed the fluid, replaced the slave cylinder, checked the clutch master cylinder for fluid. It just acts like the clutch isnt disengaging when I shift. Any idea what this could be? The cluch engages fine while driving but I have to force it into gear.
Mbuck21

When you sit still with the tranny in gear and the clutch in, is everything fine? Then if you let out the clutch will the vehicle go or does it slip? I am trying to eliminate the clutch and narrow it down to the tranny. I suspect that the clutch system is the problem and NOT the master or slave cylinder.

Bruce Hunt
Yes the clutch doesnt seem to slip at all, and it shifts fine when at a stand still.

Mbuck21
For a number of reasons I would say it is clutch time. How many miles have you got on the clutch?

Bruce Hunt
Even though the clutch doesnt slip when driving? It seems like something with the clutch not disengaging.

Mbuck21
Almost certainly a clutch problem. Post 93ish honda's use hydraulic self adjusting clutch actuation, so look to the clutch itself.

Anyway what your describing sounds like clutch drag, when the clutch does not fully disengage. How many miles are on your clutch? Is it harder to shift at high RPM? I've experienced the same thing before and I learned to double clutch in a hurry before I changed the clutch.

Typically clutch drag results from a worn diaphram spring. It can even be caused by a clutch hub spring breaking or popping loose of its retainer. Its very common for street cars, more common so than even clutch slippage id suspect.

Either way it sounds like time for a new clutch.

Integraguy29